Saturday, February 7, 2009

Behind every successful man is...

This article was published in the "Intermountain Construction" magazine. It is published for all the construction industry in Utah and Idaho. Dorian was the only one from his firm who received this award. I thought this was pretty cool.

Key A/E/C Professionals 40 & Under

Editor’s Note: This is the first time Intermountain Contractor has dedicated an article exclusively to key individuals within the local A/E/C community that are 40 years of age or younger. Included in this list are industry professionals who work as contractors, architects and engineers, and even a surveyor for good measure.

Profiles by Brad Fullmer

Some of the individuals are following in the footsteps of their parents and even grandparents, carrying the torch of the family business into another generation. Others are up-and-comers, young professionals trying to establish their own credentials on their own terms, determined to leave behind a legacy of quality, hard work and commitment.


I personally have known a few of the individuals in our list for several years, people I consider friends, and have great respect for them and the work they accomplish in their respective fields of expertise. Others were nominated by fellow employees who have been impressed with their overall work ethic and ability to produce positive results.

We at Intermountain Contractor salute these individuals for their contributions to the design and construction industry. It’s people like this that make our world a better place to live.

Dorian Adams, 37
Principal
Reaveley Engineers +Associates, Salt Lake City


Dorian Adams says landing his first professional engineering job out of college was a cinch, really. Sometimes it’s all about who you know.

DORIAN ADAMS
A graduate of the University of Utah with a civil engineering degree, Adams was working in ’97 at a job in the structures lab at the U under Larry Reaveley, whose brother Ron Reaveley was the founder of Salt Lake-based Reaveley Engineers+Associates. Larry suggested Adams send a resume to Ron, and before he knew it, he was working at a prominent structural engineering firm.

“It was pretty easy,” admits Adams. “I didn’t expect it to be that way, but it turned out well for me.”

Adams has since excelled with the firm, being named an associate in 2006, and then promoted to principal in 2008. He has developed an expertise designing health care projects, including the award-winning Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah, which incorporated a unique Buckling Restrained Brace Frame (BRBF) system to mitigate potential effects of a major seismic event along Utah’s Wasatch Front.

Adams says being selected as project manager on IMC was a “great opportunity for me. I had only been practicing as a licensed engineer for four years before being put on that project. I think about how lucky I was to be involved. The scope of the project was so big, I look at it now and wonder how I survived.”

Adams, a St. George, Utah native, also was the lead designer on the Dixie Regional Medical Center, the Riverton Hospital, and the DRMC Outpatient Pavilion, the latter two of which are currently under construction. He also recently helped design a new terminal building on the new $185 million St. George Airport project. In addition, Adams is the project manager for the Sorenson Molecular Biotechnology Building at the U – part of the State of Utah’s USTAR program.

“I get a lot of enjoyment seeing projects get constructed,” says Adams. “There’s quite a bit of satisfaction in knowing you’re part of something that’s benefitting the community.”

*if you want to see the whole article you can go to this link* http://intermountain.construction.com/features/archive/2009/0902_cover.asp

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is way cool! Congratulations to him!

Erin said...

WOW!! That's so awesome! What a stud Laura..you married good. I think you should have the article framed...then let him decide where to hang it...(he he..)

Mikki said...

Tell him congrats. I know he works long and hard and it definately pays off... If only he could work less and still get the same recognition....

Amy Bailey said...

This is wonderful! Everybody need a little kudos! You should post the link on facebook.

Evans Family said...

WOW! Congratulations Dorian!! Way to go Laura for supporting him! ;)

Teresa said...

Well deserved! Way to go!! Congrats!

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Go Dorian! That's so awesome that he got recognized for his hard work, plus it was fun for me to read a little bit about him and his work!